Our T-Shirt of the Month for May 2022, made of 100% organic cotton by a worker-owned co-operative, and supporting grassroots labour unions in South Asia. This month's design commemorates the Bavarian beer riots of 1844. These broke out after the government implemented a new tax on beer. Workers took to the streets, battling police and destroying property. The army was called in, but a cavalry regiment refused to attack the demonstrators. After four days of disorder, the King issued an order reducing the price of beer, which restored calm to the area.
This design is by Munich-based rebel artist Torsten Mühlbach. Torsten works and experiments with a wide variety of techniques and materials, and says of the beer riots:
"After the revolution is before the revolution.
After the high is before the high.
Every great story begins with:
'Please hold my beer for a second…'
On that note, cheers everyone!"
The design features a modified Munich beer mat, and reference to the Münchner Reinheitsgebot (the famous Munich beer purity law of 1487) has been changed to read "Freiheit" – "Freedom".
This t-shirt is available strictly limited edition for this month only. Be sure to preorder yours by May 31 as all t-shirts will be sewn and printed together.
- Unisex fit, round neck, straight cut, knitted neck tape [also available in women's/femme fit]
- 100% organic cotton, single jersey, 160 g/m², 0% elastane in fabric
- High quality water-based screen prints: environmentally and skin friendly
- Sizes: S - M - L - XL - 2XL – 3XL
- Made with dignity by the worker-owned Humana Nova cooperative
- Supports grassroots labour unions in South Asia through ExChains
- Learn more about our 'T-Shirt of the Month' collaboration with dna merch here
- With global shipping like everything in our store
Please make sure to carefully choose your size by checking the size chart below and the sample pics here.
Width: Measured 2cm (1in) beneath the sleeves across the shirt
Length: Measured from the highest point of the shoulder to the bottom end of the shirt
When will I receive my t-shirt?
Sewing and printing of each T-Shirt of the Month will take approximately four weeks after preorders stop at the end of the month. The shirts will then be shipped from Germany by July 10, 2022. Estimated shipping time for the EU, UK and Switzerland is 4-7 days from then. USA and rest of the world will be 7-14 days.